Thursday, August 27, 2009

MockTails of the City #3: Heaven's Dog

In which I make my way around the City searching for sophisticated yet sober cocktails.

Best mixologist attitude to a mocktail yet. And was their 'virgin' tasty? Yes, you bet.

picture photograph image taken on my iphone 2009 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

Third time lucky: At last! Staff who don't bat an eyelid when I put in my request for a non-alcoholic cocktail. Because the Heaven's Dog drink menu is actually flush with soda and juice options, I almost didn't dare to ask if they might indulge me in something a little more fanciful. I am so glad I did. The cocktail waitress was enthusiastic in her response to my question. "But of course, the bartenders love to create virgin drinks - what kind of thing do you like? And so the conversation continued to establish my tastes. The result was a long, cool, feisty fresh ginger and citrus drink with a serious kick.

Heaven's Dog: 1148 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94103, (415) 863-6008 [Website]
Visit: August 2009
Menu: Fresh juices and sodas are listed on the menu in the bar (but not on the website). However, do note their "Freedom from Choice" option where the Bar Staff choose a cocktail for you. This can be specified as a 'virgin' drink. [menu here]
Bartender's reaction: We were sitting in the lounge area, not at the bar, so all of our interactions were with the cocktail waitress who was stellar. She dealt with about a dozen people all cashing out of one giant bill individually with far more patience than most human beings could ever muster. Someone told me that Jackie Patterson, whom I know from her Orson days, was working that evening so I went up to the bar to catch up with her. She explained to me that because Heaven's Dog has a good variety of handcrafted syrups to hand, making up an interesting mocktail is never a problem for the bartenders.
Price: Mocktails: $6 each.


Mocktails of the City #2 The Clock Bar
Mocktails of the City #1 The Alembic

© 2009 Sam Breach
MockTails of the City #3: Heaven's Dog

11 Comments:

  • At 27/8/09 10:55, Blogger Sam said…

    test

     
  • At 27/8/09 11:15, Blogger ChrisB said…

    You really are fond of your ginger. I wish we could easily get non-alcoholic cocktails here.

     
  • At 28/8/09 15:50, Anonymous EB said…

    Are you going to give any less swank joints a whirl on your quest?

     
  • At 29/8/09 00:55, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said…

    Sounds like a great place!

     
  • At 30/8/09 12:22, Anonymous Carolyn Jung said…

    Anything with fresh ginger is worth drinking in my book!

     
  • At 30/8/09 17:07, Anonymous jo said…

    I thought of you this weekend when my 13 year old foodie friend and I went to a well respected local place, Craigie on Main, for their Whole hog dinner. I pointed to my friend and said that I was the designated driver for the evening and did they perhaps have a sparkly non-alcoholic beverage we could enjoy. Our waiter then suggested that we could have an entire course by course flight of mocktails made just for us. Not only was it just for us, but each of us received a different mocktail for each course. They were simply put, spectacular as the restaurant also makes all their potions, and mixers in house in cluding their bitters of which i am a huge fan. You can read my review at the blog, but my point here is to just tell you that there are really amazing places that understand completely that every memorable drink needn't involve alcohol.

     
  • At 2/9/09 05:05, Blogger amy and ann said…

    Just discovered you. Can't wait to return. Some of your iphone shots are amazing. I would love for you to check out my new blog. I will be back.
    ann
    amyandannblog@yahoo.com

     
  • At 18/9/09 17:04, Anonymous Gudrun said…

    I am a fan of the mocktails at Coco500 - very inventive. Thanks for the this new recommendation, I really need to start getting out more....

     
  • At 30/9/09 00:15, Anonymous Chip Girl said…

    A $6 mocktail and great service sound like a sweet deal. Now that Mayor Newsom and the State Government are proposing to raise taxes . . .erhm, "fees," on spirits and alcohol, I may have to switch to budget drinks, too.

     
  • At 11/10/09 21:45, Anonymous Lynnepig said…

    Hey--I've been looking for mocktails, too, but mostly in the East Bay. It's amazing how some places really step up and some places just mix grapefruit juice and cranberry juice.

    The best so far has been at Five, on Shattuck in Berkeley, but the awesome bartender Emily who made me a Rose de Mai (basically pineapple juice and cream) doesn't work there anymore.

    Another great one was at Pizzaiolo in Temescal in Oakland. Some strawberry thing. Delicious.

    The worst were at Aqua (in SF) and at A16 (in SF).

    And lots in between.

     
  • At 18/10/09 11:42, Blogger Sam said…

    thanks for the tips Lynnepig. I hope to publish some more of my own but I am a bit behind on my blogging. I have also had great ones at Coco500 and the food there is good too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home